BYOD (Bring Your Own Device)
More information about Trinity’s BYOD policy can be found by clicking here.
What to Buy?
Parents have asked us which devices best fit Trinity’s unique BYOD technology initiative. Below are some specific device recommendations and practical advice.
Students need devices that are Wi-Fi-capable, with battery life of at least six hours, and Bluetooth connectivity. A keyboard is strongly recommended. Pen/stylus/digitizer input is also recommended for note-taking purposes. iPads, small tablets, and smartphones of any type are acceptable but not recommended due to the limitations in their productivity. Additionally, we advise that you avoid “knockoffs” and too-good-to-be-true deals on tablets.
For those looking to purchase an electronic device, below are more specific recommendations:
- Major-brand Android-based tablets (e.g., Google Nexus series, Samsung Galaxy series)
- Windows 10-based tablets (e.g., Microsoft Surface 3 or 4, Surface Pro 3 or 4, Lenovo Yoga/IdeaPad/ThinkPad, and other similar devices)
- Windows-based netbooks and laptops running the Windows 10 operating system with a built-in webcam
- MacBook, MacBook Pro or MacBook Air running OS X “Yosemite” or later operating system with a built-in webcam
- Chromebooks are very popular as reliable, less expensive alternatives. Although they can be useful day-to-day at school as well, students may run into occasional productivity and compatibility issues, especially when offline.
Remember, technology changes rapidly, so if you need to purchase a device, you may wish to wait to make your purchase until the time your son actually needs the device. You want to get the best value for your money, and have your son’s device last as long as possible.
For more information, contact:
This week as part of Catholic Schools Week, we are highlighting the blessing that Catholic schools are in the lives of young people, families and communities across this country. Catholic schools offer academic excellence and faith-filled education for students...
Join us for a special night of fun and Trinity Basketball on Saturday, Feb. 3 as the #1 ranked Shamrocks take on Male High School at Trinity's Steinhauser Gymnasium. We have created special posters for grade-school-aged students, and the team will sign them...
Saturday, Dec. 9, saw hundreds of eighth-graders take the High School Placement Test at Trinity. The students arrived with enthusiasm and a big dose of wonder. We are ready to make the next four years the best experience of their young lives. The number of testers is...